Maintaining an e-commerce website can be an elephant task. With millions of websites already launched and thousands of websites being launched everyday, it becomes tough and almost impossible to be in the competition and at top of your game. But, thanks to digital marketing, there are numerous strategies that not only help you get to the top rank but also maintains healthy traffic on your website.
When you search on Google how many times has it happened that you didn’t get the exact result for what you searched for? Rarely, right? It’s because Google has an algorithm which sorts out and shows you the best matching results for your search. This algorithm searches for accurate keywords among thousands of websites and those matching with your search will pop on the top. But getting on the top is not easy.
There is a wide range of strategies in digital marketing but one strategy can work in a month and it might not work in the next month. That’s why the online market is so dynamic. Therefore, the use of SEO and PPC has become more preferred as it generates huge results. These two digital marketing strategies, if combined in a smart way, have the potential to attract heavy traffic on your website and grow your business.
Before we get into how SEO and PPC can grow your business let’s first have a brief look on what this two exactly mean.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization is the strategy that helps to increase the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results. SEO attracts quality traffic to your website i.e. people who really are searching for Apple Computer products will land on your website and not on someone selling eating Apples. These are genuine people and that adds to your organic traffic list. You don’t have to pay for organic traffic and this traffic gets you more ads which can earn you more money.
There are several factors that search engines consider before deciding which websites to rank on top and onwards. These factors include:
- Is the content on the particular website original, relevant to the topic, appropriate, and does it give right information?
- Is the content on the particular site has working backlinks to other sites suggesting that this particular point is important?
- Is your website designed and built in a way that it enhances user experience and is easy for the user to follow. Also, is it built in a way that it allows the search engines to review your site?
Search engines have a crawler which roams on the internet and gathers information about all the content available out there. It then brings that information back to the search engine where an index is built on the basis of that information. This index is then inserted into an algorithm which matches all the data the user’s query. This way the websites that have the most relevant content are ranked on top.
What is Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Marketing?
Pay-Per-Click or PPC marketing is a great way to attract viewers and also obtain wealth of data. Some of the famous and most used programs like Google AdWords, Bing Ads, AdRoll, Steelhouse, Facebook Ads, offer several ways through which merchants can promote their websites quickly. This helps the businesses to get strong hold of the market with genuine and interested customers and also helps you to reach larger audience. While Googling anything the first two links you see in the result page are the ads.
There are different types of PPC marketing strategies as follows:
- Text Ads – Running text based ads in email, search engine results, etc.
- Video Ads – YouTube offers video ad service which allows you to show your video before start of the actual video the user has searched for. You can also have ads next to the videos, or display ad banners at the bottom of the video player, etc.
- Re-marketing Ads – Displaying banners and advertisements on other websites for the people who have visited your website.
- Display Ads – Advertising on other sites like blogging and News sites in the form of a banner.
- Shopping Ads – Displaying the images of your products in search results of Google or Bing.
How Can SEO Help your Business?
SEO is the bridge between your business and the consumers. With the digital revolution at its peak and the boom of e-commerce businesses people don’t usually know where to find best quality products. Therefore, most of them turn to Google (or any other search engine) and search for their choice of products. Here’s where SEO will play its magic to bring your business website on the top so that the consumer lands on your site to purchase what he/she desires.
SEO is not what you can become really good at really quickly and expect your business ranking on Google to shoot from bottom to the top in the matter of few days or few weeks. Search Engine Optimization is time consuming and resource-intensive process. Many businesses just don’t have the patience to wait and see themselves grow over the period of time. But if invested good amount of time SEO produces high results and best returns in the long run.
How Can PPC Help your Business?
When you are taking your business online then you also need to consider that the larger the audience the more variety of people will be out there. Not everyone’s choice is similar and, therefore, as a business person, you need to think in a way that will get your business more and more audience rather than just a set of number.
Yes, you can launch a campaign quickly, keep the track of your success through the keyword ratings, and build campaigns that make you win all using the SEO marketing strategy. One important thing to consider here is that there are lot of people who quickly get attracted by ads, banners, etc. rather than the text ads. In this ever boosting industry you cannot wholly depend upon just one traffic source. You need to build as many bridges as you can so that more and more people come and shop on your website.
So why aren’t lots of businesses not focusing just on PPC? One thing for sure is, you’re always paying for clicks. Once you stop paying for the clicks you stop getting new traffic. PPC generates quicker results than SEO strategy but it needs constant feed of money to keep you in the game.
How will the Combining of SEO and PPC Benefit your Business?
Both the digital marketing strategies have some advantages and some disadvantages. But, when combined they both can fulfill the loopholes and shortcomings of each other. While these both strategies can work perfectly fine on their own they can make your business stronger than ever when they combine their forces.
Well optimized website will allow your PPC ads at the top of the page to bring in organic traffic in a huge quantity. This also allows your business to seek new customers who haven’t heard of you before. Being at the top of the search results in Google puts a good impression on the viewer and gains your trust even before visiting your website. But, as said earlier, there are some disadvantages to both. PPC results show ‘ad’ next to them and run only for the time when you pay for them. Once you stop paying they’re removed from the list of results.
SEO requires more work done in between the website content which works as an advertisement for the Google crawlers itself. The content has to be relevant to the topic, it should have good use of keywords at regular points, there must be backlink attached in the article, etc.
To put it in a different way, PPC is more of a face of the advertisement which can be seen on various platforms while SEO works inside makes your website stronger from the core. So how can these both work together in sync?
By placing dedicated teams for each of these two marketing strategies your business will start witnessing tremendous growth. Because a lot of mutual coordination is required behind the scenes of both the strategies. SEO is more of web developer focused service while PPC requires a strong market approach. Your site needs to be regularly updated with blogs having keywords, building links, social media marketing, etc. While also required to keep an eye on ROI, monitoring impressions, making sure the keywords used are correct and in budget, etc.
Benefits of SEO and PPC
- Exposure: By combining SEO and PPC you get a good exposure to search engine results pages (SERPs). Once you are on the top in the Google result pages your business is bound to witness more traffic than ever.
- Higher Keyword Data: When you combine organic and PPC marketing strategies you can get your hands on more data. You can use this information to use those keywords which have higher conversion rates for your overall business strategy.
- Benefit to SEO from PPC: Mostly when you start seeing results from the PPC ads you can use that information to create more relevant titles, meta description, page content, etc. for your website to rank on top. This also allows you to test what works and what doesn’t pretty quickly.
- Using inside Data for Growth: PPC mainly recognizes the set of keywords your users use while searching for a product. Therefore, by enabling site search on your website you allow the PPC to learn more about your customers and you can serve them better next time.
Managing a business, especially an e-commerce business, is a tough job. Expecting your business to grow quickly and rank in the TOP 10 in the matter of months is difficult. While there is a chance in the digital marketing strategies but you can increase your odds by using best techniques and smart strategies to slowly make your way up the ladder and who know your business might appear on the top of Google results in the matter of time. There’s only one thing you should keep in mind and it is about your user’s experience and their needs. Once you focus on those with the help of SEO and PPC your business is bound to skyrocket and reach heights of success. Update your business today and take a leap towards growth.